Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lonely Kid

I remember when I was about 10 years old and my brother's father came to pick him up for a few weeks in the summer. I watched his dad come, gather his things, and go. My brother was about 6 at the time. He was my best and only playmate while I was in our home. I noticed that summer must have been the time for dads because several of my other friends went away also. So you could probably see the problem I had. I was suddenly lonely.

Lots of times I was that child many people would notice playing alone in public housing. That's because they were gone with their dads, relatives, or at some camp that we couldn't afford. I had the hardest time when I was younger staying at home. I wanted to be outside with friends. Especially while my brother was away. My mom was the best mom ever! But mom could never have the same passion for rough play like my brother, friends and I had. At least the neighborhood guys were there. You know, the drug dealers and the gang members. I guess you can see where this could lead also.

I wrote in an earlier post about my feelings toward my father. His consistent presence would have alleviated a lot of my lonely feelings. That would have been the ultimate solution.

This post really isn't about my father but about the people who allow siblings to separate and be alone. I wished that I could go with my brother or friends fathers when they came. Every blue moon I was invited and it was great. Siblings shouldn't be separated like that when they are so close. From that point I decided that if I was ever in that position where if I had to pick up my kids and they had siblings there, I would at least acknowledge them. I would bring them a gift also and not make my kids out to be more privileged than them. And If I could I would bring them along also.

Hey dads! Next time you go to pick up your kid(s), and if they have siblings living with them and their father isn't around, remember this post. Acknowledge them if you don't mind. Don't forget them when you buy your kids gifts if you can. It doesn't have to be much. Just something to let them know they are special too. If you have that type of relationship with mom then take them along also. I know I'm pushing it with a lot of you. But by doing some of these things it could help a ton to build the character of these young boys and girls. Its not their faults they are in that position. Kids need attention. Give a little. Give it a try...

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have a spin-off post from this! Great post, I hope many can take this to heart!!

    ReplyDelete