Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making Mommy Proud!!!

Its a big deal for a young man to make his mother proud. I myself remember promising my mom when I was about 9 years old that I would buy her a pair of L.A. Gear gym shoes. I was super excited to give her any Christmas or birthday gift. Valentines day was crazy cutting out hearts and bringing home heart-shaped candy for her. I promised her when I was older that I would never drink (seeing all the drunks we were around). Glad she told me it was ok as long as I was responsible, because I like to drink...responsibly.  I told her that I was going to join the U.S. Air Force like my uncle David. All because I thought it would make her proud of me.

This past weekend I got to see that same thing happen again. I watched my lady's son work extra hard to clean his room just to make her proud. I mean he went under the bed, in the closet, and washed all 6 loads of clothes he had. Even decided to change the sheets on his bed to match and to keep his bed made. Of course he did all this under my iron fist supervision, but I did allow him to take all the credit. And he did take all the credit! :-) The look in his eyes when he was almost done with his room was exciting. And when we stopped to plan how we would present his room to his mom, the look in his eyes were priceless. I instantly went back in time 25 years. It was the same look I gave my mom when I just knew she would be proud of me.

Boys are strong by nature. Boys are willing to take on loads to make their moms smile. Boys will work tirelessly to support the women in their lives starting with mom. Its funny how some boys are pampered to the point where they need the support seemingly all the time. Then grow up being no good for anyone. They become mentally disabled from being a man. Hmm but that's another post. I love seeing boys learning the lessons early on how to become strong, independent men.

Mom played the role of excited mom well. And her son went on and on about what he was going to do next and how he would keep his room clean. Of course he will need the assistance of the iron first to accomplish this goal long-term. But, its all worth it in the end to see mommy smile and to make her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment